Experiencing Self and Remembering Selffleeting
The experiencing self is the one that has the experience and feel what it is like to have the experience.
The remembering self comes to existence when you have a retrospective look.
The remembering self makes decisions that the experience that the future experience self will have
You often make decision by looking at your past experiences.
Yet, those have different intuitions
When asking people how happy they are, they invoke their remembering self because their experiencing self is no more.
Somehow, this might explain the people pleaser effect and then the feeling good bias. You tend to want to promise stuff so that you create good memories, without much care for the future experiencing self (present bias).
for remembering self, time does not matter, but event does
Hence the peak-end rule
for remembering self, pain is not integrated over time
People that have 60s of small pain and 30s of lesser pain will prefer this experience over simply 60s of small pain.
Notes linking here
- Daniel Kahneman: Thinking Fast and Slow, Deep Learning, and AI | Lex Fridman Podcast
- intuitively, experiencing self should be preferred, but people tend to optimise their remembering self
- Monty Hall problem
- people tend to change their holidays destination if they assume they will forget
- Rationally Speaking - stoicism
- talk about experiencing self and remembering self
- The Abilene paradox - Sketchplanations
- The coastline paradox - Sketchplanations
- épicure - Le bonheur, un plaisir stable, une absence de troubles. Lettre à Ménécée